Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly

From: Matt
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:29:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Jordi Vilalta wrote:

> > On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:40:21AM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> > > I wrote a few months ago asking about the possibility of merging
> > > FreeSCI into ScummVM. Last week I finally begun working on it, and the
> > > first step has been making the FreeSCI code almost compile with a C++
> > > compiler.
> >
> >   Which parts are missing?
>
> >   While you are, of course, free to do whatever you find appropriate, I'd
> > recommend that you try to focus on getting FreeSCI to use ScummVM's sound
> > and/or gfx subsystems:  Since both FreeSCI and ScummVM already have plenty
> > of
> > abstraction in place to make those things pluggable, this part should be
> > easier (and more rewarding to yourself) than adapting SCI-specific parts of
> > FreeSCI whose semantics you are less likely to be familiar with to a
> > different
> > programming language.
>
> The graphics is my next goal. I'll try to write a new driver to work
> with ScummVM.

I think this progression makes good sense. Just wanted to give it my vote
:)

I would recommend testing the changes under gcc 2.95, gcc 3.3, gcc 3.4,
gcc 4.x, and VC++ 8.0 (2005). I'd say gcc 2.95 isn't too important,
because it hasn't been updated in years, but there are some platforms on
which that was the last GCC release and we may still want to support
those.

Thanks for doing this work! :)

--
tangled strands of DNA explain the way that I behave.
http://www.clock.org/~matt