Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] Making FreeSCI code C++ friendly
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:16:47 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in my answer. I've been busy these days.

2007/3/4, Christoph Reichenbach:
Jordi,

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 12:40:21AM +0100, Jordi Vilalta wrote:
> I wrote a few months ago asking about the possibility of merging
> FreeSCI into ScummVM. Last week I finally begun working on it, and the
> first step has been making the FreeSCI code almost compile with a C++
> compiler.

  Which parts are missing?

There were a few small things needed to compile cleanly on C++ which C
didn't like, like the need of explicit qualifiers for some structs
defined inside of other ones.

> The attached patch includes the modifications needed to make the code
> C++ friendly without breaking C compatibility (I had to remove a few
> modifications). Most of the changes are explicit type casts, function
> declarations and substitution of C++ keyword used as variable names.

  I'm afraid that I couldn't see the patch; it was probably stripped by our
mailing list management software.  Could you put it somewhere where people can
review it or send it to Lars and me in a separate e-mail, please?

Here it is: http://jvprat.no-ip.org/tmp/freesci-cpp.patch

  While you are, of course, free to do whatever you find appropriate, I'd
recommend that you try to focus on getting FreeSCI to use ScummVM's sound
and/or gfx subsystems:  Since both FreeSCI and ScummVM already have plenty of
abstraction in place to make those things pluggable, this part should be
easier (and more rewarding to yourself) than adapting SCI-specific parts of
FreeSCI whose semantics you are less likely to be familiar with to a different
programming language.

The graphics is my next goal. I'll try to write a new driver to work
with ScummVM.

Regards,

Jordi Vilalta