Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] bounds_in_clipping_area bug

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] bounds_in_clipping_area bug
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:26:11 +0100

Hello strk,

s> I attached the .as files and .swf files to this bug item:
s> https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?22258

Seems that the problem is solved now?

s> Yes, skipping the bounds_in_clipping_area makes it work.

I anyway think that this code is useless, so I removed it from
sprite_instance and improved generic_character instead. This
simplifies the code and probably offers slightly better performance
for movies with complex display lists.

A question about do_display_callback(): What is it's purpose? With the
old implementation it wasn't called unless the character has been
rendered (changed) in that frame. Now it is called in each frame for
each character (seems more correct to me since it would be done that
way without invalidated bounds optimization).

I only updated generic_character and edit_text_character to use a new
boundsInClippingArea() function. AFAIK these are the only characters
(aside from sprite_instance drawables) that do any real rendering and
thus benefit from this check.

A more general approach would be to do the check in DisplayList
instead, but that would also prevent some extra calls in display()
like do_display_callback or registerTextVariable.

On the other side we are not calling any display() method when the
invalidated bounds are NULL...

Anyway, I would like to know the effects of missing calls to
NON-rendring calls in display() implementations.

What do you think?

Udo