Tekram IR-210B & 6110 - Hopeless?

From: Gaute Amundsen
Subject: Tekram IR-210B & 6110 - Hopeless?
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:26:49 +0200

Hi.

Problems problems problems...
Sorry to bother you all, but I am about ready to give up on this combo.

Correct me if I am wrong.
6110 is just about the last model in the nokia line that do not speak propper
full blown irda, and the IR-210B is the only dongle that will not suport
gnokis own infrared mode..

I don't have the feeling that I completely grasp the various relationships
between all the parts of this setup however, and this ignorance leaves me
hope :->

What I manage to get so far is:

Loads of nice irdadump waving of hands - ie. not quite handshaking.

23:38:51.255925 xid:cmd 0c65585c > ffffffff S=6 s=5 (14)
23:38:51.345928 xid:cmd 0c65585c > ffffffff S=6 s=* mumrik hint=8c04 [
Computer Printer IrCOMM ] (23)
23:38:51.345911 xid:rsp 0c65585c < 08320000 S=6 s=5 Nokia 6100 hint=8101 [
PnP Telephony ] (28)
23:38:53.805931 xid:cmd 0c65585c > ffffffff S=6 s=0 (14)

With gnoki sett up as if the 6110 would talk irda, and some indecent fiddling
with the source, I can get this:

address@hidden root]# /usr/local/bin/gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Opened configuration file /root/.gnokiirc
Added new section global
Adding key/value port//dev/ircomm0
Adding key/value model/6110
Adding key/value initlength/1
Adding key/value connection/irda
Adding key/value bindir//usr/local/sbin/
Adding key/value use_locking/yes
Adding key/value serial_baudrate/19200
Adding key/value require_dcd/1
Added new section connect_script
Adding key/value TELEPHONE/12345678
Added new section disconnect_script
Added new section sms
Adding key/value timeout/10
Lockfile /var/lock/LCK..ircomm0 is stale. Overriding it..
Serial device: opening device /dev/ircomm0
unknown fucker: Nokia 6100      8320000
unknown fucker: Nokia 6100      8320000
and so on....

Killing irattach, and trying "infrared" mode the best I can manage is:

address@hidden root]# /usr/local/bin/gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.4.3
Opened configuration file /root/.gnokiirc
Added new section global
Adding key/value port//dev/ttyS0
Adding key/value model/6110
Adding key/value initlength/1
Adding key/value connection/infrared
Adding key/value bindir//usr/local/sbin/
Adding key/value use_locking/yes
Adding key/value serial_baudrate/19200
Adding key/value handshake/software
Added new section connect_script
Adding key/value TELEPHONE/12345678
Added new section disconnect_script
Added new section sms
Adding key/value timeout/10
Serial device: opening device /dev/ttyS0
Serial device: setting RTS to low and DTR to high
IR init, retry=0
Serial device: setting speed to 9600
Serial device: setting speed to 115200
My IR init succeeded
Getting phone info (old way)...
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 0
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 1
Message sent: 0xd1 / 0x0005
00 01 00 03 00                                  |
SM_Block Retry - 2
Telephone interface init failed! Quitting.

What I can not manage is to get minicom to talk to the phone.
Ther are some hints that it might be possible to use ir serial and GSMLIB to
access the phone, but since I can not get minicom connected I have not tried
this...

Now, what do you all reckon? Where should I spend my effort?
Putting the dongle back in the packing nicely, and pretend I never opened it,
fiddling more with the config, trying gsmlib or minicom, or perhaps having a
go at the tekram code in gnoki?

As it is, it seems this is the only dongle anybody in town selling, otherwise
I think I would have traded it in already..

As I said, I am stuck, so please somebody give me a hint.

Thanks :-)

Gaute Amundsen