Re: [open-cobol-list] Developing COBOL/CICS Programs

From: Gerald Chudyk
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Developing COBOL/CICS Programs
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 08:08:02 -0700

On 9/28/07, Ron Norman <address@hidden> wrote:
> As much as I hate to refer people to Micro Focus...

I remember around 1981/82 a Victor 9000 developer recommended a little
British company producing a quality COBOL compiler. I called them in
England from here on the west coast of Canada, purchased the product
and received great support.  Their commitment to write as much of the
compiler as possible in COBOL was an amazing feat for the time. They
also sent me something new they were still working on, called
Animator, which revolutionized my programming experience.

MF may have lost their way a few times, and I am confused by their
commitment to overpricing their product, but they started out very
well, and their products were certainly cutting edge for their time. I
miss not having them in my tool box...

OC is the closest thing to the feel of those early days. I am still
unable to find a use for the current product, but I sure want to.  And
I appreciate the hard work that's being done.

Regards to all,
Gerald.