Re: [open-cobol-list] advanced Cobol books ?

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] advanced Cobol books ?
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:22:25 -0400

Hi Steve

Well at least your teaching Cobol, that's the best news I've heard all day.

Learning Cobol has been a very strange experience.

There is apparently more Cobol code then any other language and I have even heard that there is more of it then all other languages combined but I bet I can find more code examples on the net of coffee script, Vala or groovy.

In my first few months with Cobol I keep thinking that I have to figure out how to blend this language and that language with Cobol to make up for the weakness in Cobol but now that I am into my 8th or 9th month with it, I am starting to see that Cobol already has it. The trouble is finding the resources to learn all the little nuances.

Do you think that many Cobol shops trained their own people but then swore them to secrecy? How can their be a shortage of good materials for this language.

I am also surprised that there is no large failed project that has been freed as open source. For instance Blender is an open source 3D animation project that has a large following. It didn't start this way though, it was freed for a modest amount of money after it failed as a commercial product.

Any how keep up the good fight!-Patrick