gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Proposed 9600 baud option for gpspipe

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Proposed 9600 baud option for gpspipe
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:07:50 -0700

Yo Stuart!

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:14:07 -0400
"IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did some testing and realized that I could simply do as follows:
>
> stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 -parenb cs8 -cstopb
> stty -F /dev/ttyUSB1 4800 -parenb cs8 -cstopb

That still leaves some ambiguity as to the final state of the serial
ports.  I would do something more like:

stty -F /dev/ttyUSB1 9600 raw pass8

You may also want to investigate hardware flow control.  4800 and 9600
are pretty slow for modern GPS data rates.

> my end testing will probably yield something closer to:
>
> gpspipe -r | grep -v "{" | grep "GPGGA" | tee /dev/ttyUSB1
>
> So as to strip out the initial burst of JSON and to only grab the
> positional data. I'd have more testing to do for that to work.

Any JSON is -r mode is a bug.  By definition -r is NMEA only.  I'll look
into that.

> Taking your suggestion into consideration, indeed it seems rather
> superfluous to have code inclusive that does the serial
> communications in gpspipe.

Cool.

RGDS
GARY