Re: Guile outside of Emacs + Geiser

From: Ricardo G. Herdt
Subject: Re: Guile outside of Emacs + Geiser
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:47:52 +0000

Hi Christine,

I started writing a Guile LSP server a while ago (https://codeberg.org/rgherdt/scheme-lsp-server). Like you said it is incomplete, but I got following features so far:

- show signature
- show documentation
- autocompletion
- jump to definition
- show diagnostics

There is an open issue to integrate it into Guix: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60286

I also wrote a simple client for VS Code: https://codeberg.org/rgherdt/vscode-scheme-lsp This extension is focused on LSP support though, sort of a proof of concept. Syntax highlighting, REPL support etc could be integrated with other extensions. Or someone could implement a more involved extension to integrate these features, like what Magic Racket seems to do.

Honestly I have mixed feelings towards LSP. It's kind of a different mindset compared to traditional lisp editors: you get a language server that typically analyses the project statically, providing information regardless of the user's interaction with the REPL. My implementation relies, at least for Guile, on Geiser, so it works by interaction with a running Guile instance in the background. It might be enough for users coming from other editors, but I still prefer the way Slime/Swank works, where the REPL is the same image that provides information to the editor.

Regards,

Ricardo