Re: Guile outside of Emacs + Geiser

From: Luis Felipe
Subject: Re: Guile outside of Emacs + Geiser
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:48:19 +0000

Hi,

El 27/09/23 a las 19:07, Christine Lemmer-Webber escribió:
There's a long thread on guix-devel which is related and touches on many
things, but I thought I'd narrow in on this one thing.

Has anyone had a "good" experience programming with Guile without using
Emacs?  If so, what was your development experience like?

I have tried several editors and IDEs, and you're pretty much left on your own, typing characters. The only assistance I've found is syntax highlighting and closing parenthesis automatically. Besides those, the minimum features I'd expect to feel comfortable editing scheme are structural editing (like Emacs paredit) and something like rainbow delimiters. These tools alone make any worries about parenthesis go away (at least in my case).

But I've always wanted the same level of assistance I find for Python.

Furthermore, what's the right direction to making non-Emacs users have
as nice of an experience as Emacs users do?  Racket, for instance, has
lovely support in vscode with "Magic Racket".  What's the right path to
recommend for the present, and what's the best path to improve the
future?  LSP?  There are a few incomplete implementations I think but I
haven't tried them.
Personally, I'm hoping projects like https://codeberg.org/rgherdt/scheme-lsp-server will make it easier to improve the experience outside Emacs (and maybe inside too).