guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 17:12:12 +0100

Hi Pierre,

> - Rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS?
> - Document the existence of INSIDE_EMACS.

The variable is set by Emacs.  As an Emacs feature we should not
document it in Guix, nor should we rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS.

> - Leave colors on when inside Emacs.

Wouldn’t this mess with font lock in Emacs modes such as M-x shell?  My
colour theme has no place for a garish green :)

For prettier colours in Emacs we already have things like
guix-build-log-mode.

> - Disable the pager hint and display all research result when inside
>   Emacs.

Isn’t it considered best practise to set PAGER=cat when using Emacs as a
shell?  That’s what I do to show man pages (when I’m not using M-x
woman) or to have “git log” do the right thing.

--
Ricardo