guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 20:18:39 +0100

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

>>> - Rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS?
>>> - Document the existence of INSIDE_EMACS.
>>
>> The variable is set by Emacs.  As an Emacs feature we should not
>> document it in Guix, nor should we rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS.
>
> Strange, I don't have this variable in my environment.  I use Emacs 26.3
> and EXWM, I don't know if that makes a difference.

The Emacs manual says:

@cindex @env{INSIDE_EMACS} environment variable
  Emacs sets the environment variable @env{INSIDE_EMACS} in the
subshell to @samp{@var{version},comint}, where @var{version} is the
Emacs version (e.g., @samp{24.1}).  Programs can check this variable
to determine whether they are running inside an Emacs subshell.

I suppose you are not using a comint-derived mode for your shell then.

>> For prettier colours in Emacs we already have things like
>> guix-build-log-mode.
>
> This does not apply to all guix subcommands.

True, but wouldn’t it be nicer to use font-lock with customizable faces
instead of forcing a certain choice of colours on Emacs users?

--
Ricardo