guix-devel

native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)

From: Jonathan Frederickson
Subject: native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 09:06:48 +0000

Hi - I'm working on a Guix service for Minetest, and I'm running into some
issues. The Guix package for Minetest is divided into two variables: "minetest"
and "minetest-data", with only the former being an installable package. The
Minetest package uses native-search-paths to allow Minetest to find additional
available games (MINETEST_SUBGAME_PATH), *including* minetest_game which is
effectively the default.

This is all well and good when you're installing Minetest as a package and
running it manually, but I'd like to do this with a Guix service instead.
Problem is... the native-search-paths don't seem to affect the environment
variables set when I run Minetest through Shepherd. I'm checking my env vars by
running Minetest through strace in the shepherd service at the moment:

      (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                (list #$(file-append strace "/bin/strace") "-s1024" "-vfe"
"trace=execve" #$(file-append package "/bin/minetest")
                      "--server" "testworld"
                      "--map-dir" #$map-dir)
                #:user "minetest"
                #:group "minetest"))

(I've attached my current services/games.scm for reference.)

Is there a way for me to use the native-search-paths from the installed
Minetest package when starting it through Shepherd?