guix-devel

Re: native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 19:39:59 +0000

On 2020-02-08 19:10, Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
I'm still not quite sure I have a good understanding of when
'native-search-paths' applies and when it doesn't, but... at least
setting the env var directly seems to work in this case.

I just learned about native-search-paths when looking into your issue so I may be off about how it works... What I understand is that native-search-paths add an entry to your /etc/profile when installed - for your default user profile it's $HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile. In our case, when installed, minetest sets the environment variable MINETEST_SUBGAME_PATH so the binary know where to looks for the games. But when called directly, as it's the case in a shepherd service, the /etc/profile file isn't sourced so the environment variable isn't set. That's why we need to set it manually in the service.