guix-devel

Re: native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)

From: Brice Waegeneire
Subject: Re: native-search-paths and shepherd services (help wanted)
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 10:28:51 +0000

On 2020-02-08 09:06, Jonathan Frederickson wrote:
Hi - I'm working on a Guix service for Minetest, and I'm running into
some issues. The Guix package for Minetest is divided into two
variables: "minetest" and "minetest-data", with only the former being
an installable package. The Minetest package uses native-search-paths
to allow Minetest to find additional available games
(MINETEST_SUBGAME_PATH), *including* minetest_game which is
effectively the default.

This is all well and good when you're installing Minetest as a package
and running it manually, but I'd like to do this with a Guix service
instead. Problem is... the native-search-paths don't seem to affect
the environment variables set when I run Minetest through Shepherd.
I'm checking my env vars by running Minetest through strace in the
shepherd service at the moment:

      (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
                (list #$(file-append strace "/bin/strace") "-s1024"
"-vfe" "trace=execve" #$(file-append package "/bin/minetest")
                      "--server" "testworld"
                      "--map-dir" #$map-dir)
                #:user "minetest"
                #:group "minetest"))

(I've attached my current services/games.scm for reference.)

Is there a way for me to use the native-search-paths from the
installed Minetest package when starting it through Shepherd?

I think I got it working, I managed to log and "play" on the server.

You were really close to have a working service for minetest though. You were only missing the environment variable MINETEST_SUBGAME_PATH and *maybe* your profile-service-type extension was wrong (I just blandly copied how it was done for SDDM). I have attached your games.scm with the added fixes.