guix-devel

Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud

From: Ellen Papsch
Subject: Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 12:44:40 +0100

Am Montag, den 17.02.2020, 18:15 +0100 schrieb Alex Sassmannshausen:

> So I deploy debian, then copy across a script and run that.  This
> takes
> care of turning the debian machine into a guix machine and deploys my
> sys config immediately.
>
> This is by far the fastest way of deploying to Hetzner VMs I've found
> yet.
>
> It also means you can use Hetzner's CLI for creating and managing
> your
> VMs.

That sounds nice. I had wondered if there's some sort of FrankenDebian
way but did not pursue it. Given this line in the script:

mv var/guix /var/ && mv gnu /

there seems to be a complete takeover, even better than a FrankenDebian
:-)

> It's on my to do list to create a solid guix deploy server creation
> module for guix.

That would certainly be appreciated.

I'm currently in the process of cementing Guix usage here (for
databases at least). If I succeed and get some time, I might be able to
do a first stab. Though it would be more useful for applications, which
come and go more often than databases. We currently manage apps with
ansible, I already have started lobbying at low rate. But first things
first -- databases!

Best regards