guix-devel

Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 19:20:35 +0100

Heya,

Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Alex,
>
> Alex Sassmannshausen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> could you please share that "guix-infect" script?
>>
>> Sure, please see attached.  This one here is a bash script that works
>> with a system config that is specified as part of a here-doc in the bash
>> script.
>
> Cool, thanks!
>
> [...]
>
>> — primarily to encourage myself to keep automating further by
>> integrating this in Guix deploy. Where does all the time go!!!
>
> I'd like to help but still need to enhance my guile-foo
>
>> Happy to help if you run into problems or have questions.
>
> maybe when guix will be in Debian [1] your script could be simpified in
> the first steps... but I hope we'll have a proper guix-deploy way for
> many many providers before :-)
>
> just one more question:
>
> [...]
>
>> #!/bin/bash
>>
>> e2label /dev/sda1 root
>
> [...]
>
>> guix system build /etc/bootstrap-config.scm
>> guix system reconfigure /etc/bootstrap-config.scm
>> mv /etc /old-etc
>> mkdir /etc
>> cp -r /old-etc/{passwd,group,shadow,gshadow,mtab,guix,bootstrap-config.scm}
>> /etc/
>> guix system reconfigure /etc/bootstrap-config.scm
>
> why two "guix system reconfigure"?

Tbh, not 100% sure.  This script is heavily copypasta.  It looks like
there is an element of transferring debian files away over the course of
the 2, so perhaps it's to fully transition.

But, tbh, not really investigated it, as the second reconfigure is dirt
cheap, and the script just works (tm).

Feel free to experiment!  If you find it's unnecessary, I'd be happy to
hear about it!

Cheers,

Alex