guix-devel

Re: [GSOC 2020] Discussing GNU Guix project ideas?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2020] Discussing GNU Guix project ideas?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 15:44:05 +0100

Hi Leandro,

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 at 12:54, Leandro Doctors <address@hidden> wrote:

> I will clone Guix's repo, read the code and try building it, and get
> back with more specific details, if that's OK with you.

Are you using Guix yet?

If no, the first easy step is to install the "package manager". It
works on any recent Linux distro and it will not interfere with it.
Using the shell script helper, it is quick; and nothing to do. See:
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/plain/etc/guix-install.sh
from the note in the manual
http://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation

If yes, the easy way to start is:

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
cd guix
guix environment guix
./bootstrap
./configure --localstatedir=/var/
make

then you can tweak any scheme file and recompile with make. And to use
this checkout version, you can just run the ./pre-env-inst hook.

 ./pre-inst-env guix help

Hope that helps.

All the best,
simon