guix-devel

Re: [GSOC 2020] Idea: Guile based build-tool

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: [GSOC 2020] Idea: Guile based build-tool
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 08:56:21 -0500

There have been some conversations about using Guix's tooling as a build
tool in the past.

Personally, what I would prefer to see is a Guile-based build tool that
is standalone; an alternative for autotools basically.  That then could
be used *in combination with* Guix quite nicely... use the Guile-based
build tool for describing how to build your packages, use "guix
environment" to pull in all the dependencies and create the dev
environment, and of course this tool would then be used for package
definitions too.

However I think this is not a small task, and would take someone who is
willing to do a fair amount of research, or is already familiar with the
problem domain.  It may be hard to finish in a single summer.