Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap
Date: 21 Nov 2002 20:36:35 -0800

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 03:39, Antoine Schmitt wrote:
> >Using one of these means you don't need FluidSynth. Of course there are
> >many draw backs to hardware SoundFont devices (not well supported in
> >Linux, not very portable between platforms, usually a pain to route
> >synthesized audio to other applications).
>
> Right, but on an end-user point of view, in certain contexts that are
> not rare, it would be interesting if a client program, written on top
> of FluidSynth, could take advantage of the CPU acceleration of an
> SBLive automatically if it is present and accessible.

I'm familiar with the OSS Linux AWE driver and will be adding support
for this to Swami in the near future (it was the only driver available
for Smurf, the old project Swami). I'm not familiar with what is
available on Win32 systems to drive these cards though.

> >What is your development platform? Are you using Linux or a win32
> >environment?
>
> I'm on Macintosh + Windows. Our project is targetted toward standard
> end-users, and our integration platform is Director. This explains
> the choice.

I'm looking to port Swami to Win32 and Mac OS X. I've had it running in
Windows before but without a sample import/export library or linkage
with iiwusynth. Until Glib/GTK+ is ported to classic Mac I am not going
to attempt that platform, though.

I did the Win32 port of Swami by cross compiling with mingw32 on Linux
and testing with wine :) I did have to replace one DLL file with a real
windows DLL to get things to work though (something to do with
international language support). I have yet to figure out how to get
iiwusynth linked with Swami. If any one has ideas of how to do this (or
could supply me with a linkable FluidSynth lib) I could probably get
things working on windows pretty quick.

> Cheers !
>

> ++ as

Lates.