[iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap

From: Josh Green
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap
Date: 06 Nov 2002 00:37:45 -0800

I think we should start thinking about a road map for FluidSynth. I'm
listing some ideas just to kick things off (not that I'm really
authoritative on this matter in the first place).

- New FluidSynth name. Should the API be changed to reflect this? This
is obviously going to completely blow up backwards compatibility.

- iiwusynth parameter querying (looks like gain and chorus have been
done, reverb querying is needed).

- Improved sfloader sample data handling

- Synthesis bugs (Volume Envelope Delay parameter kills sound entirely)

- Compare synthesis to other SoundFont devices (SB Live!, SB AWE 32/64)
and perhaps try to more closely match them (or provide compatibility
modes)

- Try to limit distortion due to clipping. Distortion seems to be one of
the biggest problems (at least in my day to day use of FluidSynth).

- Start a development version of FluidSynth for some of the larger more
controversial changes (FluidSynth API name change for instance)

Thats all I can think of now. Gee. I should do the same thing for Swami.
Still looking for people interested in helping (at least beta testers,
some cheer leading, etc) :) Cheers.
        Josh Green

P.S. Peter and Markus rock! They brought us this nice synthesizer and
deserve much praise and worship, he he.