Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:14:06 +0100

Josh Green wrote:
On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 08:22, Peter Hanappe wrote:

- I think that the sfloader API is really heavy, especially knowing that only one sfloader exists : the default one. Is it really necessary ?

I agree that it's heavy. C simply doesn't handle subclassing very
well ;)

I've been thinking about something that maybe controversial: start
a parallel development branch to rewrite Fluid in C++. Initially, the
synth was going to be very simple and it's "class" structure as good
as flat. Now we have drivers, plugins, soundfont loaders to handle.
If we want to stream large samples, it might be nice to have a
Sample class as well. Just some thoughts. Hardcore-C-coders, don't
shoot me, yet.

I think the goal of Swami covers a lot of what you are talking about.
Not sure if anyone has been keeping up with the design of the
development branch of Swami (well I haven't actually posted the code yet
:)

Its based on GObject which is a Object Oriented library for C which I
believe has C++ bindings through gtkmm (not sure though). Swami
basically consists of this:

I tried GObject a bit when I did some coding with GTK. However, I never
felt comfortable with it. I'll give it a second try.

Cheers,

Cheers.
        Josh Green