RE: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: RE: [iiwusynth-devel] FluidSynth roadmap
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:49:31 +0100

:::::::::21/11/02::::16:41 +0200::::address@hidden:::::::::
 > Markus, you answered to me alone again... :-)

Good point. I should CC to the list. But I want to maintain a healthy rate between other people's mails and mine :)

You did it again ! :-) Maybe on purpose, but it seems that this is interesting to the list.

 Maybe we are not talking about the same thing : i was talking about
 an adjustable band-pass filter. I was talking to Peter about it and
 he told me that it was not implemented yet. Maybe I should reread the
 documentation...

There is only a resonant two-pole lowpass filter, 12 dB / octave.
If you need a different filter (bandpass), then that needs different coefficients, but the algorithm is the same (as long as it's not 18 or 24 dB / octave). A bandpass filter itself is easy - add five lines of equations from Robert Bristol's filter cookbook. But I don't have a clue how to integrate it into the synth (how to choose the filter). It could be easily done on a per-channel basis, but a better way would be to somehow put the information into the soundfont. If you find an example of an existing product, it should be easy to just copy the way it is implemented.

Ok, I RTFM and i get it: SoundFont only defines a low-pass filter, which CutOff freq and resonance could be controlled by a controlchange (through NRPR and such), but is normally controlled by LFO or envelope. I guess we'd better leave it the way it is. And for a bandpass filter, I guess that we should preserve the SoundFont specs as much as possible, and maybe extend it by allowing more final effects like chorus and reverb : bandpass, equalizer, etc.. And this should be part of a larger scheme, which includes the already mentionned sound routing issue, Timidity, Jack, etc..

Thanks for enlightening me, I'm not a sound expert, I'm more an API guy...

++ as