Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Changes on CVS

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Changes on CVS
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:48:10 +0100

Markus Nentwig wrote:
Some changes now on CVS:
--enable-longlong ./configure option: Uses long long for phase
calculation, slightly faster.

Good job! We have to test on big endian machines, though. I think
that for those machines 'index' should come before 'fract' in the
definition of iiwu_phase_t.

   typedef union {
       struct{
           /* Note, that the two 32-bit ints form a 64-bit int! */
           u_int32_t fract;
           int32_t index;
       } b32;
   #ifdef USE_LONGLONG
       long long b64;
   #endif
   } iiwu_phase_t;

--enable-SSE option: Use Pentium SSE extensions for some buffer copying.
Interpolation is also coded in SSE, but currently disabled. It's still
slower than the original. Somebody, who knows some assembler, might make
a big difference here.
All over all, the improvements gained through using SSE were quite
disappointing. Peter's original code is too fast, that takes all the fun
out of optimizing...
- Filter: The filter will now smoothly interpolate between two settings
over the length of one buffer.
- Reverb: Fixed a problem with denormal numbers causing floating point
exceptions. The reverb is quite a bit faster now.

More great stuff! And I hardly recognize anything from the original
iiwu_run_dsp code! I'll need some time to catch up, here.

Nice changes, Markus!

Peter

The 'loop point modulation SEGV' is still unfixed. Next week...

Cheers

Markus