Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Changes on CVS

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Changes on CVS
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 10:45:39 +0200

> When
> you say "the length of one buffer" do you mean the sound card audio
> buffer or the internal FluidSynth buffer (64 samples)?

The latter. For each buffer, during which the filter coefficients
change, the DSP loop is slightly slower. So it's only straightforward to
fade them throughout the whole length of the buffer, shorter than one
buffer would be inefficient. But why not longer?
In iiwu_voice.c, change
#define FILTER_TRANSITION_SAMPLES IIWU_BUFSIZE
to (for example)
#define FILTER_TRANSITION_SAMPLES 1000*IIWU_BUFSIZE
The filter should now change during one-and-a-half seconds. Let me know,
if you find a more practical setting.
My own experiments with a mod-wheel wah-wah sounded quite OK using one
buffer length, but the filter had only default Q..

-Markus

PS: Fading the coefficients could make the filter instable during the
transition.