Re: The current hurd development system - or: optimizing for fun

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: The current hurd development system - or: optimizing for fun
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 19:18:59 +0100

Дана Tuesday 31 January 2006 09:57, Alfred M. Szmidt је написао(ла):

>    >    o Work on code.
>    >
>    > Would you like to work on some code? :-)
>
>    You are quoting me out of context here. Working on Hurd/Mach is no
>    alternative if we are speaking about Hurd/Coyotos.
>
> One can work on both at the same time.  Hurd/whatever won't be ready
> for who knows how long.  Hurd/Mach works already, and it works quite
> well.  Mach has also gained a new interest to alot of hackers.

I agree with you. Furthermore, I would suggest porting something like anaconda
installer to GNU/Hurd, so that even more people could gain interest in
hacking it. The current state of installation process for Hurd is not too
good / newbie friendly. It would also be good to port Qt (as far as I heard,
it has already been done) and KDE to Hurd. If GNU/Hurd/Mach becomes even
nearly as usable as GNU/Linux, it will gain much more developers. At least,
that's what I think.

>    >    o Highly integrate the community.
>    >
>    > The more people who work, the more people will join...
>
>    I think we have to do more than passively wait for people to join.
>
> True, but not much more.  If there is lots of activity (I think people
> would be happy if there was _any_ activity really), people will hear
> about it, and join.

agreed.

> Cheers, and happy hacking!

Cheers, cheers :)