lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] STM32, FreeRTOS and lwIP - Timeout problems

From: Rüdiger Asche
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] STM32, FreeRTOS and lwIP - Timeout problems
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 15:16:29 +0100

so is your application a tcp server or a tcp client? Since you write
about timeouts, I assume it is a tcp client, and an attempt to
connect() returns with -1 and the error set to ETIMEOUT? It would help
if you installed a sniffer (eg wireshark) and logged the packet flow;
that would at least narrow down the problem.

What kind of TCP server do you communicate against? Bear in mind that
a timeout may also imply that the server is not able to service the
request! This happens frequently, for example when the TCP Server is
single threaded meaning that it services a client request without
spawning a new thread. When that happens, other TCP clients will first
end up in a queue, and when the queue overflows, nothing happens on
the net (one of those brain dead details of TCP practice). So a busy
server might as well the problem. Again, a sniffer trace would help
narrowing down the problem.