pan-devel

[Pan-devel] RE: new feature

From: Gollum
Subject: [Pan-devel] RE: new feature
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:45:52 +0100

Haran Shivanan wrote:
> Actually, what I meant was:
> I have some discussion in a thread, but the first few articles in the
> thread are not there. Either accidently deleted or (more likely) you
> only downloaded the last n articles and so, don't have the entire
> discussion thread. I wanted to a feature that would get the earlier
> articles in the thread in order to make it complete.

I think that would be a useful feature, but even more so if it indicated
expired and unavailable headers.  The latter may be caused by incomplete
peering.

E.g. if Tony replies to Saddam's posting, and George replies to Tony's,
it should look like this if everything's OK:

   Baghdad rocks!            Saddam      2003-02-20
     Re: Baghdad rocks!      Tony        2003-02-20
       Re: Baghdad rocks!    George      2003-02-21

Now let's say Tony's post is missing on the server.  Then it should look
roughly like this:

   Baghdad rocks!            Saddam      2003-02-20
X    Re: Baghdad rocks!      ?           ?
       Re: Baghdad rocks!    George      2003-02-21

and *not* like George replied to Saddam:

   Baghdad rocks!            Saddam      2003-02-20
     Re: Baghdad rocks!      George      2003-02-21

If the suject has changed, it will also be "?".
The "X" to the left is supposed to be the red X currently used for
expired articles.

After reading your initial posting, I thought you meant what I just
described.  Wishful thinking...