pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: new feature

From: Haran Shivanan
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: new feature
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:39:49 +0530 (IST)

> However, if this isn't what you're talking about, then could you give
> an example?

OK, I obviously havn't been clear with what I meant.

Lets say I havn't checked a group in some time and it generates a lot of
posts. So, if I have a limited disk quota, I just use the option to
download the latest 50 articles from the server.
I have a thread like this:

1) Re: New Feature        Joe
2) +- Re: New Feature     Bob
3) |   +- Re: New Feature  Joe
4) +- Re: New Feature     Jack

The first (parent) article in the thread is not actually the first article
in the discussion (which would have a subject "New Feature", not
"Re: New Feature" )
Because I downloaded only the last 50 articles, its possible that the
first few articles in a discussion thread may not have been downloaded.

So, if I'm interested in this thread and want to know what was said
earlier, I would select, say, article #1 and use the "Get Entire Thread"
feature which would then use the article's References header to fetch all
the previous articles in the thread if they have not already been
downloaded and cached, thus reconstructing the original (complete) thread.

I don't know about others but I would find this usefull.
Some of the NGs I follow generate lots of traffic and not very high s/n
ratio so I may not download all articles since the last time I checked...
If a particular thread interests me, just select an article in it and use
this option to get all previous articles in the thread.

I hope I'm clear now.
--
Happiness is a warm gun...