Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Don't multiplex mirror URLs that use nonfr

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Don't multiplex mirror URLs that use nonfree JavaScript ?
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2024 18:11:40 +0000

Hello, Thérèse;

On Fri, Feb 02, 2024 at 04:44:58PM +0100, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
> I made a test list [1] with underscores as markers:
>   '_' for URLs that use nonfree JavaScript
>   '__' for mirrors that use Cloudflare services.
> It probably wouldn't take much to adapt the Mirmon scripts so they
> select all URLs for the "allgnu" list, and unmarked URLs for the "gnu"
> list [4].

Probably no, it wouldn't.

> WDYT?

I wonder if we could implement a more flexible approach
to mark mirrors, something along these lines,

NR - https://wicked-js.biz/gnu [*]
SM - http://walled.mil/mirrors [**]
TD - https://gnu-mirror.td [*] [**]

[*] The mirror uses unethical JavaScript.
[**] The mirror is part of a centralized surveillance network.

> I have another question: how do these scripts select against alpha
> mirrors? Do they look for "alpha" in the URL? Are the parentheses
> necessary?

The script that extracts mirror list from /prep/FTP skips anything
written in parentheses, so alpha mirrors are ignored.