Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Don't multiplex mirror URLs that use nonfr

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Don't multiplex mirror URLs that use nonfree JavaScript ?
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 10:52:01 +0100

Le 05/02/2024 à 08:35, Ineiev a écrit :
On Sun, Feb 04, 2024 at 07:31:47PM +0100, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
I wonder if we could implement a more flexible approach
to mark mirrors, something along these lines,

NR - https://wicked-js.biz/gnu [*]
SM - http://walled.mil/mirrors [**]
TD - https://gnu-mirror.td [*] [**]

[*] The mirror uses unethical JavaScript.
[**] The mirror is part of a centralized surveillance network.

So basically you want 2 markers instead of one, after the URL rather than
before?

Basically, I mean

* marking mirrors rather than URLs,

Some JS mirrors have ftp/rsync URLs that are safe. Marking mirrors could
make ftp_convert.pl more complicated (or not), but in any case one
marker per mirror is less error-prone than several. I'll try that.

* using uniform markers so that (0) any number of them could be
   attached to a mirror, and (1) /prep/FTP-to-mirmon list converter
   could distinguish the lines where markers are present,

OK, but I think that's overkill. We have yet to see a centralized
surveillance mirror that doesn't use JS.

* adding footnotes explaining what each marker is for.

So you want footnotes? Not sure they are necessary, but it can be done.
I will rewrite the paragraph about JS and add anchors.