Re: Suggested update for spamass-milter

From: Cassandra Lynette Brockett
Subject: Re: Suggested update for spamass-milter
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:02:13 -0800 (PST)

Dan Nelson said:
> In the last episode (Dec 23), Cassandra Lynette Brockett said:
>> I just grabbed the CVS tree of the milter, and compiled the milter
>> for my system.
<snip>

> Bah.  Alias/virtusertable expansion stripped the domainname :)  Off the
> top of my head, I'm not sure how to handle this.  Maybe if -e is
> specified and it ends up delivering to a local user, append ${j}?

Or better yet, how about giving -e an arguement of the domain to use in
cases where their is a failure like that?  Or even adding a -E option
where you are required to specify the hostname, and modify the -e to
auto-detect the local domain.  I like the -E option idea as in hosting
environments the local server's domain might not be the default domain for
mail (we don't do that here, but in some cases it could happen, here
though all unchecked mail gets the fqdn of the host - which is really
annoying and as it has been the default behaviour for a while, it's
something that won't get fixed until the next upgrade here, but I'd like
to have the milter operating definately correctly).

The more I think on it though, making the users specify the local domain
when using the -e option is really a good idea as most people who need the
-e probably want full control over unlisted domains...  I know I wouldn't
object :-)

>> I have checked with a manual test and if I send the correct username

<snip>

> With alias/virtuser expansion enabled (I plan to make this a selectable
> option, defaulting to off because of issues with sendmail+smmsp
> installs), spamass-milter just takes whatever address sendmail -bv
> hands it.  In your example, sendmail returned:
>
> "<address@hidden>... deliverable: mailer local, user fakeuser"
>
> All I can do here is tack the local host's domain ($j) at this point, I
> think.

Okay, I was just making sure that I understood what was supposed to
happen, just to verify I was actually asking for a fix and not a new
feature :-)

OOh, and making the alias expansion stuff an option is a really neat idea
too.

--
Regards,
   Cassandra