Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:45:45 +0200

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> |--==> "KG" == Kai Gro <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   KG> (2) Change Tramp to use a different filename format, for example:
>
>   KG>         /host:file
>   KG>         /address@hidden:file
>   KG>         /address@hidden:file
>
> At least 2 of those will break EFS.  Please don't do it.  And, more
> importantly, you run the risk of breaking the XEmacs Package tools,
> which rely on EFS.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding involved.  The suggestion is as
follows:

(1) Turn off EFS completely, so that it is never invoked.  This means
    there will be no conflicts between Tramp and EFS filenames, as
    there are no EFS filenames.

    The general Tramp syntax will be /address@hidden:file.

(2) Tell Tramp to invoke EFS for certain filenames.  For instance, if
    method=ftp, EFS is always invoked.

(3) Allow user to specify default method based on user/host
    combination.  For instance, if user=anonymous, EFS could be
    invoked.

One way to make sure the XEmacs Package tools work is to switch them
from the /address@hidden:file format to /address@hidden:file (literal
square brackets).

Another way to make sure the tools work is to add an entry to
tramp-default-method-alist that user=anonymous implies ftp.  Then
filenames of the form /address@hidden:file will continue to work with
EFS (I presume that the filenames used by EFS are of this form).

So, I think it's clear now that "2 of those will break EFS" does not
apply.  I confess that I didn't think about the package tools, but as
you see it can be solved.

When I first read Richard's suggestion, I thought it was a really
horrible idea.  But the more I think about it the better I like it.

kai