Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:47:32 +0200

Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:

> I still don't see the point.  To me, it looks like you are making it
> harder for the user by introducing another filename format and yet
> another variable to set.

Well, it is possible to make it backward-compatible, such that
filenames of the form /address@hidden:file continue to invoke
EFS/Ange-FTP.  Then users can use /address@hidden:file to invoke the
Tramp sm method.

This is a simple extension of the EFS filename format, so I expect
that it is easy for users to learn.

kai