Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Unify Ange-FTP and Tramp filename formats?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 07:58:36 +1000

|--==> "KG" == Kai Gro <address@hidden> writes:

  KG> Steve Youngs <address@hidden> writes:
  >>I still don't see the point.  To me, it looks like you are making it
  >>harder for the user by introducing another filename format and yet
  >>another variable to set.

  KG> Well, it is possible to make it backward-compatible, such that
  KG> filenames of the form /address@hidden:file continue to invoke
  KG> EFS/Ange-FTP.  Then users can use /address@hidden:file to invoke the
  KG> Tramp sm method.

Providing it is backwardly compatible and the user knows when they are
using Tramp and when they are using EFS, I can live with it.  I still
think messing with Tramp's filename format is a waste of time
however.

  KG> This is a simple extension of the EFS filename format, so I
  KG> expect that it is easy for users to learn.

Unfortunately, what a user will do and what a developer thinks a user
will do are quite often two _very_ different things.

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: 10D5C9C5>---|
|            XEmacs - It's not just an editor.             |