Re: Multi from Windows Box

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Multi from Windows Box
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:54:02 +0200

Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:

> I get an error stating 'Cannot find /bin/sh' or something like
> that. The error appears immediately so I'm pretty sure it's looking
> for /bin/sh on my home box, not my work box.  Both work boxes are
> running Linux.

I didn't want to special-case the first hop in the multi-hop methods,
so tramp-open-connection-multi uses start-process to start a shell.
It uses the variable tramp-sh-program, so you can in principle
configure this.  But note that Tramp assumes a Bourne-ish shell!

Hm.  But this variable is only used in three places.  One place is
tramp-open-connection-multi, the other two places are for reading and
writing files.  In those two places, it's only used when the method
specifies an encoding/decoding command (instead of function).

So _maybe_ it works to change tramp-sh-program to COMMAND.COM or
whatever it is that you have got.

Do you think that tramp-open-connection-multi should use a different
variable, and that there should be documentation somewhere how your
trick works?  It's a cool idea, that trick of yours.

kai