Re: Multi from Windows Box

From: Daniel Stolz
Subject: Re: Multi from Windows Box
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:52:53 -0400

Kai Großjohann wrote:
Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:

Do you think that tramp-open-connection-multi should use a different
variable,

No.  I think a great solution would be if command.com works as
tramp-sh-program.  Then everything else is seamless.
This won't work as I see below.

Please note that Tramp assumes to be talking to a Bourne-ish¹ shell.
All commands that Tramp contains are tailored for that shell.  It
doesn't make sense to change this to command.com syntax, as
command.com is unlikely to be present on the remote system...
I didn't meant to suggest that.  I meant more the other way around (i.e. change command.com to talk Bourne)
But _in that function_, only very specific commands are sent to the
shell.  Therefore, it _might_ work to use command.com in that
function.  (But not in the other places.)
I misunderstood this.  I thought you meant tramp-sh-program was only used tramp-wide in a couple of places.
Well, it might work to use command.com in
tramp-open-connection-multi, but it might fail to use command.com in
the other places where tramp-sh-program is used.
Again. I misunderstood.

That's why I suggested another variable.  Of course, I would document
things properly.
I didn't mean to imply you would not.  I was thinking the fix would be non-multi-specific (i.e. global change to tramp-sh-program) so it should be documented that way, i.e. all Windows users, whether or not they use multi, should change tramp-sh-program.
  I could even have the new variable default to
command.com on Windows systems.
>From my perspective, this seems to be the correct solution

>>¹ Is that the right way to (funnily) say Bourne-like?
Yes.  I got it wrong.

Rethinking a bit, something will probably have to be done with tramp-sh-program.  Or else it should be noted that some features of Tramp (those that use tramp-sh-program) are unavailable to Windows users.