Re: Multi from Windows Box

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Multi from Windows Box
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 17:15:25 +0200

Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:

> Some tidbits:
>
> 1. I tried to do a non-multi (normal) file open to make sure I had putty
> set up right.  I then did the multi open and it didn't work.
> I restarted Xemacs and tried the multi open and it worked fine.  I'll
> have to try that again to make sure something else wasn't the problem.
>
> -----
> I tried it again and it worked this time.  It was user error the first time.
> -----

Okay.  That means I don't have to fix anything here :-)

> 2. After opening the remote file, I clicked on the 'Open' icon in the
> Xemacs toolbar that launches an Xemacs-style file open dialog.  With
> normal Tramp, the current directory in that dialog is the remote
> directory.  With multi, the current directory was on my local box.
>
> -------
> I was wrong.  From Windows, the current directory is the local box
> either with normal or multi.  From linux, the current directory is
> remote either way.  This is a Windows-Tramp issue, not a Multi-Tramp
> issue.
> -------

Hm.  How to approach this?  I have no idea.  Could you make another
posting to the Tramp mailing list, explaining about this issue?
Maybe other people can contribute to the circumstances or help
investigate.  I don't have Windows...

>  > and whether you can get a dired buffer.
>  >
> ---------
> I'm not exactly sure how to do this.  I tried C-x-f and typed in a
> multi remote directory name and got a dired buffer.  That worked.  I
> could select a file within that buffer and visit it successfully.
> ---------

Great!  By visiting the file, you even tested more.  (The other places
where tramp-sh-program could have been used, but probably wasn't.)

> And I forgot to test whether cmd.exe as tramp-sh-program messes anything
> else up.
>
> ------
> How was I supposed to do this again?
> ------

Hm.  Never mind.  I'll just introduce another variable, and the new
variable will have a different default value on Windows.

What is the value of the variable `system-type' on your system?
(I'll use that to set the default value.)

Does it work to just set the tramp-sh-program variable to "cmd.exe",
or does it have to be the absolute path that you used?  And should it
be "cmd.exe" or "CMD.EXE"?  If the absolute path is needed, is there
a way for Tramp to find out which path to use?

kai