Re: Multi from Windows Box

From: Daniel Stolz
Subject: Re: Multi from Windows Box
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 08:50:13 -0400

Kai Großjohann wrote:

   Daniel Stolz <address@hidden> writes:

           Do you think that tramp-open-connection-multi should use a different
           variable,

       No.  I think a great solution would be if command.com works as
       tramp-sh-program.  Then everything else is seamless.
This won't work as I see below.

I meant that it would not work as a final solution

But could you please still do the test, whether it works to change
tramp-sh-program for multi methods?

I tried (using f:/winnt/system32/cmd.exe as tramp-sh-program) and it worked. :-)

Some tidbits:

1. I tried to do a non-multi (normal) file open to make sure I had putty set up right. I then did the multi open and it didn't work. I restarted Xemacs and tried the multi open and it worked fine. I'll have to try that again to make sure something else wasn't the problem.

2. After opening the remote file, I clicked on the 'Open' icon in the Xemacs toolbar that launches an Xemacs-style file open dialog. With normal Tramp, the current directory in that dialog is the remote directory. With multi, the current directory was on my local box.

 You could check to see whether you can do filename completion

This worked. And when I hit 'Tab' and there were multiple choices, it opened a buffer with the list of possible completions. Success.

and whether you can get a dired buffer.

Sorry. I got this e-mail too late. I'm at work now so it will have to wait to test this. I normally don't use dired buffers.

And I forgot to test whether cmd.exe as tramp-sh-program messes anything else up.

kai