wxruby-dev

RE: [Wxruby-dev] Summary of naming problems

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [Wxruby-dev] Summary of naming problems
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:36:01 -0500

Richard Kilmer wrote:

> I believe that the documentation could be converted more simply than
> the code...the method parameters are different in WxRuby vs. C++
> anyway, so the documentation is going to have to be updated to some
> degree.  In the little utility I wrote to parse the latex and emit the
> method names for you, it was not all that much of a stretch to think of
> having it rewrite the documentation with the parsed/rewritten
> methods/classes/constants.

I hate to sound wishy-washy on this, but I've thought about it some more...
So let me try to clearly state my three main points:

1) I don't really like the idea of aliases or a follow-on wrapper of
aliases. My reason is that this throws up a barrier to sharing code. I would
prefer that all wxRuby code look the same.

2) I think a mental transformation from GetPosition to get_position and the
like are acceptable.

3) I don't want the documentation to be a impediment.

> I will put this another way.  I will (in my copious free time ;-)
> "port" the documentation if that will help

Well, that does it for me -- I'm sold: Curt officially flip-flops his vote
back to "ruby naming conventions".

Curt