wxruby-dev

Re: [Wxruby-dev] Summary of naming problems

From: Richard Kilmer
Subject: Re: [Wxruby-dev] Summary of naming problems
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:56:54 -0400

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 03:06  PM, repeater wrote:

For sure it is a matter of taste, but we must just make sure we can stomach
'::' in bulk.

-the cultural reorientation of people like me, who through experience with
other gui libs would 'include' the first thing that they see.

You can include if you want. You just have to know that by doing so you are bringing in the whole constant pool of Wx...this is no different for Fox. You can still access constants that existed before the inclusion of the namespace like for Object it would be ::Object (accessing the Object constant in the 'root' namespace). What is nice is by giving you a choice, your example could become:

    include Wx
    @calendar = CalendarCtrl.new(self, ID_CALENDAR, DefaultDateTime,
                                     DEFAULT_POSITION, DEFAULT_SIZE,
                                     CAL_MONDAY_FIRST |
                                     CAL_SHOW_HOLIDAYS |
                                     RAISED_BORDER)

    dlgSizer = BoxSizer.new(HORIZONTAL)
    calendarSizer = BoxSizer.new(VERTICAL)
    calendarSizer.Add(@calendar, 1, GROW)
    dlgSizer.Add(calendarSizer, 1, GROW)

And of course if you just do this in a class:

class MyClass
  include Wx
end

It keeps the the inclusion isolated.