Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System

From: Mike Avery
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Battle System
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:18:56 -0500

On Friday 01 February 2002 03:59, you wrote:

> > So, in my opinion, I think the "gathering ingredients" scheme should be
> > simple if you want it to be simple, but complex if you want it to be.
> > What I mean is: you should be able to progress through the game normally
> > without doing much mucking around with the "focus" system. The magical
> > items, when you first locate them, will have enough power by themselves
> > to be useful.
> >
> > But if you really want to augment the power, then you can do some
> > alchemy.
>
> Yeah, that's what above suggestion would basically achieve. However, I
> never played anything with such a system (I know Diablo 2 has something
> similar), so I don't know how to make sure that it will be real fun. Any
> ideas and suggestions, or mistakes that have been made are welcome.

Whatever is decided, we need to be careful that we maintain balance.  If
magic becomes much more powerful than melee combat, nobody will use the
fighter.

It is important that damage and modifier calculations be the same for both
melee and magic.  We ned to use a single set of mechanical calculations for
both melee and magic in order to maintain balance.

Way back when I wrote the original calculations, I alloted a certain
percentage of total possible damage to modifiers, luck, attack type vs.
inherant armor defense against such attacks etc.  Every point should have a
counterpoint of potentially negating force, so that in the end, it becomes a
ratio bettle between foes on a per-action basis.  May the better man win.