Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation
Date: 08 Mar 2003 13:14:34 +0100

> All of this would of course be implemented on Python side. In fact, if
> you have no complains, I might do this over the weekend. That would be
> the first step towards the v0.4 character implementation.

I'm fine with that. Character implementation has to be done as items are
done: a handler class on the C++ side (with all the basic stuff we'll
always need), and all the game-specific stuff on the Python side. Don't
know if you had that in mind, but we could make a hierarchy of classes
that describes the different character classes, their base attributes,
ranges and capabilities. For instance (the "->" being a inheritance
relationship):

character -> humanoids
          -> animals
          -> monsters

humanoids -> humans
          -> elves
          -> half-elves
          -> dwarves

and so on...

The "humanoid" class would put the commons of all humanoid types.
"elves" would describe elves more accurately, and every type you make an
instance of an elf, you can tune it's attribute. That way our
protagonists description will be much like in real life, which would
probably make work easier for us.

Is that what you had in mind?