Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation

From: Nils Fohrbeck
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Thoughts on character implementation
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:36:58 +0100

>The only exception would be "boss" monsters. I guess they need to be
>created manually.

Which would not really matte rbecause they should be fairly unique anyways!
(And they will probably have their own dialogue as well, while a cow will
always
say muuh when you talk to it...)

>Another benefit is that randomly generated creatures could easily be
>adapted to the player's strength. Their level could be created from a
>range [player_level - 2; player_level + 2] for example. That way, they'd
>neither be too hard nor too easy to deal with.

I like this variable approach!

>We could also easily implement different levels of difficulty by simply
>adjusting the above interval. Like
>
>    easy:   [player_level - 4; player_level]
>    medium: [player_level - 2; player_level + 2]
>    hard:   [player_level; player_level + 4].

You said you played some games from the baldurs gate series (such as Torment).
We could just have 2 types of NPCs. Normal ones (such as a barmaid): You can
talk to these and use your skills. Agressive ones (red in BG) that attack you.
So you can only perform cambat actions on these.

I think I am having some thoughts on rules right now. I will write them up and
send them to you in a few hours..

Nils