Re: [Adonthell-devel] Combat related thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Combat related thoughts
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 16:02:51 +0100

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:03:10 +0100 Nils Fohrbeck wrote:

> Could not we make this into :
>
> Weapon: deal 15 damage
> also (if oponent is undead) kill on the spot
>
> this would make things easier. we could just say all the effects on a
> weapon do stack, so in this case the undead would be double dead :)

Well, in fact it is more like you describe it. However, it is no single
stack. Instead, each weapon has its own stack. Also there is the case
where the next damage object will be determined dynamically.

But that gave me an idea. Obviously we would need a description of a
weapon, especially what damage it does and how much. Each damage object
could contain a description, like "Physical (%min - %max)" or "Renders
the opponent unconcious for %time minutes". So when displaying the
weapon info, you'd just go through the stack or list of damage objects
and print their description. That way, a weapon's description would
always be accurate, no matter what the player does with it (inscribing
runes, enchanting it, etc ...).

I am currently about to implement things, but I am not at all sure how
to do it properly. Guess it will still take some time (and possibly some
rewriting) before it works as expected. You'll hear from me once I have
something.