Re: [Adonthell-devel] Combat related thoughts

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Combat related thoughts
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:10:30 +0100

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:45:23 +0100 Kenneth Gangstoe wrote:

> Quoting Kai Sterker (address@hidden):
>
> Or apply a "Hand / Feet" weapon to characters who dont carry a real
> weapon. This can be a "hidden" weapon the player don't see. That way
> you separate the combat entirely from characters. Another reason to go
> for this approach is clawed animals, like tigers etc, which will have
> a "Claw" weapon, but you don't neccessary see it as a weapon.

I briefly considered this myself, but I'm not sure whether it is worth
the trouble. For one, as you said yourself, those weapons need to be
hidden from the player. So the item handling code would have to take
care of another flag. That's not the worst problem though.

But there are also difficulties with unarmed combat. Either it would not
be possible, or there needs to be a default hand weapon that is
automatically chosen when no other weapon is equipped.

The approach would have made sense if we had for example different
damage types (like piercing or slashing, etc). In that case, a tiger
could for example either use his teeth or claws to attack, and depending
on the opponent, one method might be better then the other. But in case
of our combat system, it makes little sense to give animals different
kinds of "weapons", as one of them will always be the best choice.

I too think that combat code and characters should be separated. The
usage of those damage objects seems to be a step in the right direction.
I just haven't figured out all the details yet. But I hope to come up
with something nice. Any ideas are welcome of course.