Re: [Adonthell-general] NPC's and the perception of their surrounding

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] NPC's and the perception of their surrounding
Date: 17 Feb 2002 09:46:21 +0100

> Further suggestion: Attach a timer to the "owner" flag. For some items (a
> craftsman's master piece, a family heirloom, a custom-created piece of
> work, etc.), that flag won't run out. For others (a healing potion), it
> runs out as soon as the program has checked whether the theft is noticed
> (one is like the other anyway).

Good idea. Some objects are less important than others, these ones could
be stealable without the NPC complaining too much (depends on his mood,
again)

> Also, NPCs are likely to react differently
> once someone bearing such an item meets them again. ("Hey, can you explain
> how you come by this sword? It was stolen from my shop...")

This will depends how we handle ownership. Say you stole a weapon from a
shop, who stays the owner? The shopman or you? Shall we keep a
previousowner attribute? And what if you are stolen at your turn?

My suggestion would be that legitimately acquired stuff changes owner,
while stolen objects keeps the same owner. Even if a thief sales what he
stolen, the owner would still not be the character that buy it, but the
initial, stolen owner, as for him there aren't be any trade. Of course,
this would be transparent to the player - that's why checking where do
objects come from is important too for the player if he doesn't want to
be accused for a thief he hasn't commited. Acquiring stuff from shops
would be safer (but more expensive too) than quickly and cheaply buying
from a strange guy you met 2 minutes ago in that respect.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org