Re: [Adonthell-general] Website bug & Data packages

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Website bug & Data packages
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:59:45 +0100 (CET)

On 24 Feb 2002 21:26:39 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote
> Calm down Kai, this isn't serious ;)
>
> I was browsing the news and noticed something weird. Look for example at
> the last news item:
>
> * Time for some new News ;) - Wednesday May 17 21:41 2002 - Kai Sterker
>                                                      ^^^^

Oh. Guess I forgot to date this back when I added the old newsitems via
the news admin interface. Consider it changed.

> Btw. Aren't there too many news items displayed on the news page? This
> one is nearly 2 years ago - or we have to publish many news so the
> oldest displayed is only a few months old.

Yeah, there are. The old news.cgi did move older news to an extra page,
but when I wrote the new one, I concentrated on the main functionality, as
I hadn't much time. Guess now that I have time, I should add this feature
again.

> Btw2. Kai, since I'm maintaining the Debian packages, I'd like not to
> bother you when the links need to be updated. I know you use some kind
> of tool to build the website pages.

vi. The code is hand written, of course :). The problem is, I keep an
offline copy and make the changes to that, then upload the new files. So
if somebody else starts changing files on the server, I'll probably
overwrite their changes.

> Is there a way for others to make
> changes without them being overriden on the next update? Maybe using
> CVS?

Well, we could keep the website in CVS too, but where? Possibly another
module in the code CVS or something like that.

> Btw3. How about moving Waste's Edge CVS to Savannah? After all, it's
> public now, and that way Josh's friend would be free with us.

Not really. He'd still host the plot CVS, and I guess we wouldn't want to
move that to Savannah. Does anyone know whether there's a quota on
Savannah? I guess the wastesedge CVS is pretty huge, mainly due to the
music.

> We should
> maybe discuss about making our next data packages public from beginning
> - I think only developers would mess with them, and if players want to
> waste their gaming experience testing incomplete games, that's their
> business after all.

Yeah, I think that would be a good idea. A couple of people were getting
the CVS code and had no data to run it. We can put up a warning, but apart
from that, it shouldn't really matter whether they are able to get
incomplete data or not.

> Ahhh, one last news item to finish, some are really too funny when you
> look at them now: ;)

I swear it, I won't mention an official release date for v0.4! ;)

Kai