Re: [Adonthell-general] danish translation

From: Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] danish translation
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:30:53 +0200

Le samedi 30 août 2008 à 12:53 +0200, Kai Sterker a écrit :
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM, Joe Dalton <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi i have started the danish translation of Waste's Edge on The Translation
> > Project.
> >
> > Is the french translation finished?
> > Note that there is no accompanying version 0.3.5 of Waste's Edge yet, as
> > the current release remains compatible. An updated game package and
> > binaries will be made available once a French translations have been
> > completed. This would also be the perfect time to include other
> > translations. If you are interested in helping out, please let us know.
>
> Not finished yet. Any estimates when it will be complete, Clément?

I'm helping Clement... Kind of :-/

Last time we talked about it, neither he nor I had a lot of time to give
to it.

Clement, faut qu'on parle :)

About translation, Kai, there's something I wanted to talk to you. Do
you know Transifex ? http://transifex.org/

It's a webapp created by the Fedora community to leverage the
translators and project maintainers work.

Basically, right now, when someone wants to translate something, he has
to take the sources, write to the adequate mailing lists to see if
anyone has already started it, translation teams must coordinates
themselves,...

If you want, you can open a write access to your SCM for each
translator, which makes you administer lots of accounts.

Transifex tries to make this more efficient. You would only open one
write access to your SCM for Transifex, then, the translators can get
the latest .po files in the web interface of Transifex. They can
concentrate their efforts on translating, and when they are done, they
will only upload their work to Transifex.

* Translators don't need anymore to learn how to use each and every SCM
for each project they work on
* Project maintainers doesn't need to administer lots of accesses
* Translation team have a strong collaboration tool, eliminating the
need to send lots and lots of emails.

You could run your own Transifex instance (it is free software). Or you
could use a generic Transifex instance. For example, the Fedora Project
is running one, and each FOSS project can have an account in it:
- you don't need any affiliation of any kind to the Fedora Project
- the only condition is to be a FOSS project
- you gain instantly access to the whole Fedora translation community

I really think Transifex is a great tool, even if you chose to run your
own instance. just an idea I wanted to propose... ;)

> > And how du you actually start this demo/game.
> >
> > I'm on a Ubuntu 8.04, installation done through Synaptic, but which command
> > starts the game.
>
> Once you install both adonthell and the data package, there should be
> a menu entry for it. On the command line, 'adonthell wastesedge'
> should do the trick.

Actually, there was no .desktop file in Waste's Edge 0.3.4. When I
packaged it for Fedora, I had to create one manually. I suppose that's
what the Ubuntu packager also did. It might be great to add one in the
official dist so that users compiling it would also benefit from it (and
I wouldn't have to maintain it any more ^_^)

Attached is the one I used as an example. Should be compliant with the
Freedesktop.org norms ($ desktop-file-validate wastesedge.desktop
returns no error).

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin