Re: [Adonthell-general] danish translation

From: Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] danish translation
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 15:43:30 +0200

> > About translation, Kai, there's something I wanted to talk to you. Do
> > you know Transifex ? http://transifex.org/
>
> Hadn't heard of it before, but it does sound interesting. I guess it's
> not related to the Free Translation Project, is it? I am a little
> concerned about registering with two different translation groups, but
> if it could lead to more translations it might be worth considering.
> Thanks for the info!

I don't know what the Free Translation Project is. Try to contact the
Transifex team about that.

Transifex is really just a nice tool for managing translation
communities. Each community can run its own instance, or small projects
can choose to register into the instance of a bigger community. That's
it :)

> > Actually, there was no .desktop file in Waste's Edge 0.3.4. When I
> > packaged it for Fedora, I had to create one manually. I suppose that's
> > what the Ubuntu packager also did. It might be great to add one in the
> > official dist so that users compiling it would also benefit from it (and
> > I wouldn't have to maintain it any more ^_^)
>
> You already sent that file half a year ago, so it'll be in the next
> release :-).

Did I ? o_O

Guess my memory is even worse than the one of a red fish ^_^

>  What's missing yet, however, is a rule to install it, as
> I have no idea where it should go. Is there a standard location or
> does it differ by distribution? Is it the same for KDE and Gnome (not
> to speak about all the rest)?

That one is easy.

The desktop entries are part of the Freedesktop.org initiative. If you
follow it, upstream projects following it will work fine with you.

The menu specification
(http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/) basically specifies
that menus are built by listing *.desktop files in
$XDG_DATA_DIRS/applications which equals, depending on the distro,
to /usr/share/applications or /usr/local/share/applications.

I don't know a lot about how to use those environment variables, but I'm
sure the Freedesktop.org guys would be glad to help :)

Among the projects following this spec (or at least trying to), there
are Gnome, XFCE and KDE :)

So yes, just install the .desktop file in the right place, and all
distros / DE should display it in the menu.

The Desktop entry spec
(http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/latest/) speaks
about the "Categories" key, which is used for building the menu.

For example, I used the value "Game;RolePlaying;". This means that in
the menu, the Waste's Edge entry will be located in the "Games" submenu.
And inside it, if there are again submenus (on Fedora, they appear when
installing an optional package), it will be located in the Role Playing
Games" subsubmenu. All this in the Applications menu / Kmenu / XFCE
menu...

Nice isn't it ?

I really like what Freedesktop.org is doing to standardize the desktops.
Really makes sens for independent apps like Waste's Edge to be well
integrated in all DEs with a minimal effort.

Regards,

Mathieu Bridon (bochecha)
French Fedora Ambassador

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin