Re: [Adonthell-general] libltdl missing but libtool is present.

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] libltdl missing but libtool is present.
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:04:46 +0200

2011/7/5 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

>  Thank you for responding so quickly. Attaching the config.log taken
> from adonthell-build.
>
> Hopefully it gives you some ideas that are unclear to me.

That's the error that causes the test for libltdl to fail:

configure:15948: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   -no-undefined conftest.c -lltdl   >&5
gcc: error: unrecognized option '-no-undefined'

-no-undefined is something added to the linker flags in our configure
script, but I am not quite sure why we did that in the first case and
why it isn't working anymore. I believe it had to do with the win32
build, where dlls are not allowed to have undefined external
references. In order to catch that while working on more forgiving
systems, -no-undefined has been added.

Moved it out of the Linux/OSX build for now, so you should get it to
work now. Thanks for letting me know. Will have to check what is going
on here when time allows and change it into something that actually
works.

> One another thing, I noticed when I compile adonthell there are quite
> a few .la files which also become part of the system.
> I share this as I see not just Debian but many others GNU/Linuxes
> moves away for having .la files. See it happening in Arch Linux,
> Gentoo and quite a few others. It is a stated release goal in Debian.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval

Not sure if the .la files are even used. But not sure either if
libtool can be convinced to not generate them. OTOH, there's the CMake
build that already compiles stuff without creating them. It might have
problems of its own, however. Haven't tested it in a long time, so it
could fail to build properly with newer versions of CMake either.

Kai